Hidden Voices




Apart from enjoying the snow, I have been preparing for the collaborative exhibition with Eleanor Flaherty www.eleanorflaherty.co.uk called 'Hidden Voices' due to open at Oriel Lliw at the Pontardawe Arts Centre from 12th Jan. We are both very pleased to have this opportunity to showcase the riches of the landscape of this part of the Brecon Beacons National Park.


Gathering Storm Eleanor Flaherty


The show has been self funded and aims to create a space where you can be enveloped by the experience of being in and under this landscape. It will include a sound scape, poetry, photography, drawing and painting and will be complimented by a self published magazine which will be available to purchase.

To that end we recently had the chance to go underground in part of the extensive cave system below the Upper Swansea Valley where I was able to make a large scale drawing using the mud from the cave floor and charcoal, which I have brought back to the studio to complete. Eleanor took some breathtaking photographs.

The Judge

Eleanor at the shrine


Making art is such a fraught business - the anxiety is always there for me at least about whether it makes a connection with its audience. I am so pleased that the two paintings I submitted for the Swansea Open have been sold to the same person - but even more important to me was that they made that connection.

Both Eleanor and me hope that this upcoming exhibition will do the same.


Paul.



Comments