Almost there

Friday 14th December is the day that I present the thought experiment. I have gathered many strands of thought and placed some of them on a canvas.

These are just platforms for further experimentation.


The presentation itself will involve the creation of a triangle of routes for a volunteer ant to follow wearing the restricted vision mask. The triangle will represent the 'Ants Hierarchy of Needs' (With thanks to Maslow)




I propose that ants have a fulfilled and 'happy' life, and by restricting our vision we too can live a fulfilled life.

The mask idea came from the exhibition at the Glynn Vivian Art Gallery last month called 'A Spacewoman Dreams' www.artrabbit.com/events/a-spacewoman-dreams The collaborative installation followed themes of loss, emptiness and dislocation. I propose the antidote to this is that we all become ants with limited vision - no access to social media - and only able to see the task ahead.

This will constitute a new religion - and will involve following the Ant Manifesto. Adherents will get a medallion, a mask, and will only be responsible for attending the queen, finding food for her and her offspring and maintaining the nest !

The presentation itself may produce further springboards. My lines of interest are currently the idea of taking a line for a walk - ( Our collaborative piece which is the next project I'm involved with also links in with this experiment) the idea of 'soul' and what makes us different from the rest of our fellow creatures - why are we self destructive ? And what part does phenomenology and the idea of 'other' have to play in a world that we only see from our own perspective.





Meanwhile over in the Glynn Vivian swansea.gov.uk/glynnvivian One of my poems about my sense of displacement is currently on show in the Swansea Open Exhibition - which was opened by Sir Peter Blake on Saturday and runs until 2nd February. Peter Blake's illustrations for Under Milk Wood are well worth a few visits.



Displacement

It falls away
This land cut by river and ice
Wild evasive impassive
I could fall or sink into the earth's mouth here
Tumble over an edge

This pale fleshed human
Unfit to live in this landscape of cold wind and hard rain

How did I get here with my soft skin and barely a hair ?
How did I become so separated from the soil that gave me birth ?

I am an alien here
Unlike the buzzard hunting in vain
Too wet today
No rabbits browsing the shorter grass
They have soft hair in layers
Or like the buzzard - feathered oiled and scaled to repel the weather

I pull on layers
Undergarments, over garments, artificial skins
I should not be here today

Perhaps we were meant to store the summer sun and keep it in our dens till spring.











Comments